Thursday, July 31, 2008

The good, the bad, and the just plain ugly.

In high school I had a few friends whose style would best be described as tacky. "It was so ugly I decided it was cute" were the words they used to describe their newest Goodwill or Value Village find. Today I still own a few items that have a tackiness that appeals strongly to me: a sweater tunic with large dangling gems all over the front, a pair of metallic pink high heels...etc.

These items are great. And though I get some weird looks when I'm walking down the street I'm also still getting compliments.
We also have to recognize that "ugly" has become a phenomenon. From Leslie Hall's gem sweaters to the scum-stache ugly has taken over. I might go as far to saw that it has (*gasp*) become a style.


So this leads me to one crucial question: How do we decide if something is "so ugly that it is cute" or just plain ugly?

No comments: